Eugene, Ore. (June 4, 2021) –Today, Onward Eugene and the City of Eugene announced they are working together to help build local awareness about the new Emergency Broadband Benefit program. The new program provides a discount of up to a $50 per month toward broadband service for eligible households. The benefit also provides up to a $100 per household discount toward a one-time purchase of a computer, laptop, or tablet.
A free webinar is being offered on June 10th at 12pm, in English and Spanish, for community members to learn more about the program. Registration is now open for the webinar at https://onwardeugene.org/events/
A household is eligible for the benefit program if one member of the household meets at least one of the criteria below:
- Experienced a substantial loss of income through job loss or furlough since February 29, 2020 and the household had a total income in 2020 at or below $99,000 for single filers and $198,000 for joint filers; or
- Has an income that is at or below 135% of the Federal Poverty Guidelines or participates in certain assistance programs, such as SNAP, Medicaid or the FCC’s Lifeline program;
- Approved to receive benefits under the free and reduced-price school lunch program or the school breakfast program, including through the USDA Community Eligibility Provision, in the 2019-2020 or 2020-2021 school year;
- Received a Federal Pell Grant during the current award year; or
- Meets the eligibility criteria for a participating provider’s existing low-income or COVID-19 program.
Eligible households can enroll through participating providers including Alyrica Networks, AT&T, CenturyLink, Comcast, Douglas Fast Net, Hyak, Lane Fi, PEAK Internet, Spectrum,T-Mobile, Verizon, XS Media, Ziply Fiber or directly with the Universal Service Administrative Company (USAC) using an online or mail-in application.
Additional information about the Emergency Broadband Benefit is available at www.fcc.gov/broadbandbenefit, or by calling 833-511-0311 between 9 a.m. and 9 p.m. any day of the week.
# # #
About Onward Eugene
Onward Eugene unites regional partners — mobilizing rebuilding efforts to fully realize our region’s shared potential for expansive and inclusive prosperity. Bringing together support for startups, business expansion, regional marketing and business recruiting initiatives. Onward Eugene is a force multiplier in the creation of economic resilience. A 501(c)3 nonprofit.